Australian Visitor Visa – Visa Costs and Required Funds


It is a million dollar question – How much money do you need to have to show to the Australian Immigration in order to have your visa granted?

Required funds for Australian visitor visa

If you call the Department of Home Affairs and want to enquire about required funds for visitor visa this is usually a script:

A: Hi, I would like to apply for visitor visa. How much money do I need to have?
D: You need to have at least AUD$1,000-1,500 if you apply to stay for one month.
A: But my air ticket will cost me at least AUD$2,000, are you sure?
D: Do not worry about the ticket. Have at least AUD$1,000-1,500 and that would be good for one month. If you have a relative, somebody to provide you with free accommodation, in that case you will need even less than that.

Please note that on the Department of Home Affairs website and in all their correspondence it is stated that „You should not rely on the Department’s advice but rather consult a Registered Migration Agent“.

We advise clients not to rely on the content of the Department’s website, because the published information is only general and may not be valid for your case.

Requirements for Australian visitor visa

I previosly wrote about the requirements for visitor visa – click here to find out more. Please note that you can meet all the general requirements and still do not get the visitor visa. It is all up to the government do judge your circumstances and whether you actually have some other motives besides simply visiting Australia.

By using a migration agent you can increase your chances of getting a visitor visa and avoid making the common mistakes with visitor visa application. Sometimes, mistakes in do-it-yourself application may influence the success of all your future visa applications. Therefore, it is always advisable to use the services of a migration agent especially if you are planning to later apply for any other type of Australian visa.

Application Charge Fees

If you apply for visitor visa subclass 600, the fee is $140 in case you apply from outside of Australia. If you want to extend your visa, the fee is $345. If you want subsequently to extend your stay again, you will need to pay $1,045.

An extension means that you need to apply for new visitor visa. With every new application you need to meet the requirements and hope that it will be approved.

Family members and their visitor visa

If you want to travel with your partner or your family to Australia, please be aware that every person needs to have a visa. That means that if a family of four wants to come to Australia and they need a visa, they need to apply for four visitor visas. The same applies if they want to extend their stay.

Rights with visitor visa

The visitor visa for Australia allows you to come to Australia for a holiday, short business trip or to visit family and friends.

This visa also allows its holders to:
• Study in Australia for up to three months.
• Work as a genuine unpaid volunteer, but only if an Australian resident would not otherwise be paid to do the work (you can be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses such as meals and accommodation).

Study in Australia while on visitor visa

If you already hold a visitor visa and you would like to apply for a short study course in Australia, please be free to contact us and we will gladly help you with the application. Also, our agency is at your disposal for enquiries about enrolment into the course, selection of the course, etc.


We offer consultation for people who want to cut their costs of application and need simply some guidance or would like an agent to look at their application and give some tips and/or advice prior to lodgement.

We also offer full service and super visa application service for clients from high-risk countries for which we usually prepare substantial documents and therefore increase their chances of approval.


Vera Radisavljevic

Solicitor and Registered Migration Agent
MARN 1681254

Disclamer: Your use of the above text or the receipt of any information from this article or website is not intended to create nor does it create a solicitor (migration agent) – client relationship between you and the writer (Vera Radisavljevic and/or Baxvel Pty Ltd) and it is not a legal/immigration advice.

Recent posts