How can one get a permanent visa for Australia?


It is such a simple question, but yet the answer is not easy and not the same for everyone.

The road to permanent visa (Skilled migration visa) depends on the following factors:

1.  Passport of country you hold 

If you are from a country with which Australia has certain arrangements, like Working Holiday Program, or you are from New Zealand or UK, there are working rights visas which can help you get permanent residency later on.

2. Age

The applicant’s age is assessed at the time the applicant is invited to apply for visa.

For points based visas, the following points are awarded based on age:

25 points for 18-24 years of age

30 points for 25-31 years of age

25 points for 32-39 years of age

3. English language ability 

The better score you get on IELTS or other recognised English language test, the more points you will get for visa and, therefore, you can have more visa options.

The minimum requirement is competent English level – you need to have 6 on each part of the IELTS test.

For points based visas, you can get 10 points for the score 7 on each part of IELTS, or 20 points for the score 8 on each part of IELTS test.

4. Your occupation

You occupation must be on SOL (Skilled Occupation List) or CSOL (Consolidated Occupation List) or other relevant state’s list. The best case scenario is that your occupation is on SOL.

If you want to apply for state nominated visa, almost all Australian states have their own occupation lists and you need to find your occupation on the list of the state you want to get nomination from. Often states have two separate lists – one for 190 visa and one for 489 visa. The disadvantage of state nominations is that many states (not all) require that applicants demonstrate they have sufficient funds to cover their expenses during their settlement period.

5. Skilled employment in your nominated occupation

Having paid work experience is a must in order to get a positive skills assessment. Years of experience you need depend on your occupation, requirements of organisation which is authorised to do skills assessment, your qualification etc.

Work experience is calculated after qualification issuance date, meaning that if you have worked in your occupation while studying, that work experience cannot be counted for skills assessment. The only way that your relevant work experience can be counted before obtaining the qualification is if qualification is issued by Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

For points, relevant work experience is work experience within the last 10 years. The more experience you have, more points you can get. Often organisation authorised to do skills assessment requires recent work experience, for example 12 months full-time or equivalent part-time within the last three years.

6. Qualifications 

You need to have educational qualifications that are comparable with relevant Australian qualification. The qualification or award must be recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority.

If you have many years of experience, but not relevant qualification, you may be able to achieve it through RPL process which is available only for certain qualifications. The highest qualification you can achieve through RPL is diploma and advanced diploma.

For more information about RPL, please, check our article Having work experience, but no qualifications? Do not worry!

7. Partner’s help

Sometimes your partner may have better prospects for permanent visa or his/her skills can help you get additional points.

8. Other factors

Other factors are mostly related to your previous stay in Australia (if any). You may get additional points in case you had studied in Australia for certain period of time.

If you need assistance with any type of visa for Australia, please, be free to contact us. Our best contact is

Vera Radisavljevic

Solicitor and Registered Migration Agent
MARN 1681254

Disclamer: Your use of the above text or the receipt of any information from this article or website is not intended to create nor does it create a solicitor (migration agent) – client relationship between you and the writer (Vera Radisavljevic and/or Baxvel Pty Ltd) and it is not a legal/immigration advice.

Recent posts